Energy Drink Fridge Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How loud is your VV3?

2 posters

Go down

How loud is your VV3? Empty How loud is your VV3?

Post  southfour Sat Feb 04, 2012 7:20 am

Just purchaced a redbull vv3 for $100 and its quite loud, i planned on keeping it in my room but am having second thoughts.

It also stops making any noise for awhile and then starts up again, is this normal?

southfour

Back to top Go down

How loud is your VV3? Empty Re: How loud is your VV3?

Post  Luv2Camp Sat Feb 04, 2012 6:33 pm

Most likely your compressor fan is on it's way out. I had the same issue with mine. You can buy one on line or go to your local Radio Shack (if you are ok with changing over the pigtail) About $20. Bring your old one to radio shack (held in with 4 screws.) There is no positive or negative issue on the fan. Just cut the pigtail off fo the old one and solder it to the new fan wires and plug back in. Be careful when you remove the pigtail from inside of the box where it is stored. If you pull too hard on the wire, you can cause some of the other spade connectors on the circuit board to slip off and would need to figure out where they went. I always take pics before I touch anything so I have something to reference. Make sure you get the AC version of the fan and not the 12v DC version they also sell though... About a 10 min repair.

Also, make sure you mount the new one the same direction of the old one. It is designed to suck air through the condenser and pushed the air over the compressor. If you install backwards, you will cool the condenser but overheat the compressor
Luv2Camp
Luv2Camp

Back to top Go down

Post  southfour Sun Feb 05, 2012 3:55 am

do you know where i can get one online?, its near the back of the fridge right, not the 2 fans on the inside

here is a vid of the noise it makes

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

thanks for the info

the fridge is also really bright, it lights up my whole room at night, any ideas on how to make the lights dimmer?

southfour

Back to top Go down

Post  Luv2Camp Sun Feb 05, 2012 4:19 am

Your video is not working. Yes, it would be the fan on the rear of the unit that most likely is causing the noise. Should be easy to tell which fan is making the noise by putting your ear near them.

Here is the link for the fan I bought. This was the cheapest fan I could find that had about the same specs as the original fan. I was concerned about using a higher wattage fan as many of the replacements out there are as I am not sure if this could cause additional load stress on the circuit board feeding the fan.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Luv2Camp
Luv2Camp

Back to top Go down

Post  southfour Sun Feb 05, 2012 4:22 am

ok im going to see if they have that fan in stock, i live in canada so im not sure if they have the same stuff here at radioshack

try the video again in a bit its working for me

thanks

southfour

Back to top Go down

Post  Luv2Camp Sun Feb 05, 2012 4:26 am

Added some thoughts to my response around dimming the lights as well....

The link does not work. I get an error that it has been moved or deleted.

Thought I added the additional but appears did not save...

I do not think you can dim the lights. You could wire an off switch but again would need some electrical knowledge. I am toying with changing my lights (especially the inside lights) to LED tube lights to eliminate the heat that those are putting off which heats the frdge and causes it to cycle more than it needs to.

Last edited by Luv2Camp on Sun Feb 05, 2012 4:28 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : added text)
Luv2Camp
Luv2Camp

Back to top Go down

Post  southfour Sun Feb 05, 2012 4:33 am

this appears to be the fan needed, i think im going to buy this one if radio shack doesnt have one here

try this link to the videeo

and i way toying with the idea of replacing the lights for black lights

southfour

Back to top Go down

Post  Luv2Camp Sun Feb 05, 2012 4:49 am

southfour wrote:this appears to be the fan needed, i think im going to buy this one if radio shack doesnt have one here

try this link to the videeo

and i way toying with the idea of replacing the lights for black lights

Sounds like your condenser fan alright! Make sure when you take it apart and go to put it back together, the copper line going from the compressor to the condenser is not pressing against the metal frame of the cover otherwise you will have an annoying rattle as well when it kicks on
Luv2Camp
Luv2Camp

Back to top Go down

Post  southfour Mon Feb 06, 2012 3:52 am

ok i had to buy some small right angle screw drivers to get the fan un bolted but thats done, do i just cut the two wires coming off of it?

here is the fan

the wires appear to go into this grey box

and here is the wire coming off the fan

thanks for all the help so far

southfour

Back to top Go down

Post  Luv2Camp Mon Feb 06, 2012 3:58 am

Yes. If you open the gray box, there is a quick release pigtail that you can disconnect so you can work on splicing the wires on the bench instead of on the machine. If you have enough room to work without removing the pigtail, you could splice it right where it sits. just make sure the unit is unplugged so you do not short anything out. If you do open the gray box, you may want to remove the screws that are clamping down the power cord because if you yank up on the box, the power cord may pull off of the spade connectors on the inside of the box. You are almost there!

Assuming you did confirm it was that fan making the noise, correct???

Last edited by Luv2Camp on Mon Feb 06, 2012 3:58 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Added text)
Luv2Camp
Luv2Camp

Back to top Go down

Post  Luv2Camp Mon Feb 06, 2012 4:01 am

While you have it apart, I would take some compressed air and blow it through the fins of the condenser. You may be amazed ay how much junk comes out of iut. Will help increase the cooling efficiency
Luv2Camp
Luv2Camp

Back to top Go down

Post  southfour Mon Feb 06, 2012 4:12 am

yeah im going to take my compressor and blow out the little compartment at the top its pretty dusty

i got the fan out, will be hunting down a new one tomorrow on my lunch break and hopefully have it running tomorrow night

southfour

Back to top Go down

Post  southfour Mon Feb 06, 2012 4:19 am

this is a local store where im going to check tomorrow, will any of these 120 mm fans work?

southfour

Back to top Go down

Post  Luv2Camp Mon Feb 06, 2012 4:21 am

Remember to install the new one with the air flow going the same direction as the old one. If you reverse it, you will not blow air across the compressor as well and will overheat it.
Luv2Camp
Luv2Camp

Back to top Go down

Post  Luv2Camp Mon Feb 06, 2012 4:23 am

southfour wrote:this is a local store where im going to check tomorrow, will any of these 120 mm fans work?

Bring the old one with you and have them match up. Print off the one from ebay as well as it lists the CFM's and wattage as well. Your store has soooo many fans I am sure they will have what you need!
Luv2Camp
Luv2Camp

Back to top Go down

Post  southfour Mon Feb 06, 2012 4:32 am

will do, thanks for all the help, i will post up once its back up and running.

do you think it will be fine with just some crimp connectors or should i borrow my dads soidering iron?

southfour

Back to top Go down

Post  Luv2Camp Mon Feb 06, 2012 4:59 am

southfour wrote:will do, thanks for all the help, i will post up once its back up and running.

do you think it will be fine with just some crimp connectors or should i borrow my dads soidering iron?

I am not a fan of crimp connectors, especially with 110v but that is just me.... I solder everything. One less thing to question if something stops working and no risk of the wire pulling out of the crimp connector and shorting something out..
Luv2Camp
Luv2Camp

Back to top Go down

Post  southfour Mon Feb 06, 2012 6:10 am

also i plugged the fridge in for about 20 seconds without the fan and plugged the fan back in just to double check, the fan was definatly making a lot of rattling noise

southfour

Back to top Go down

Post  southfour Tue Feb 07, 2012 2:44 am

went to a few places today with no luck finding a fan, ive got 1 place to try tomorrrow before i order one online.

southfour

Back to top Go down

Post  southfour Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:39 pm

found a new fan

fridge is just as loud but now its a smooth loud fan noise and its much better

still not sure if im going to keep this, found a newer model + stand for $200 semi local so i might sell this one and turn a profit

southfour

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down