Red Bull Model VV-3 Needs Repair! Doesn't Run!

Go down

Red Bull Model VV-3 Needs Repair! Doesn't Run!

Post  vanvalks on Tue Aug 16, 2011 12:24 am

I have this model fridge VV-3. It is one of the medium size fridges that Red Bull labels. I have not been able to find any manufacturer name or label on this bad boy anywhere (besides the model # there is not manufacturer name)

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

When I plug the fridge in the lights turn on but the compressor doesn't turn on. I've torn the fridge apart a bit and I found a circuit board that seems to control the fridge. There is a red LED light on the circuit board that is blinking when plugged in. I assumed this was a bad thing. More messing around with the circuit board and I realized that the main transformer on the board is loose. I'm thinking this could be the source of the problem

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Going to try to find a replacement transformer...

Last edited by vanvalks on Thu Aug 18, 2011 8:27 am; edited 1 time in total
vanvalks
Admin

View user profile http://www.energydrinkfridgeforums.com

Back to top Go down

Update

Post  vanvalks on Thu Aug 18, 2011 8:17 am

After hours of time spent on google trying to track down a replacement transformer for this circuit board I have come up empty handed. This transformer is a made in china special (along with the fridge) so finding direct replacement parts is next to impossible. I have come up with 2 other options though.

1. Buy a transformer that has the same specs as the one on the circuit board. Thanks to the folks over at [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] I was able to find a transformer that can be wired into the circuit board- the F-114X. This transformer doesn't have the same "footprint" as the one being replaced so it will have to be mounted elsewhere on the fridge and wired to the contacts on the circuit board. The transformer is about $10 and then I would need to buy the soldering equipment and learn how to do it.

2. Send the transformer to Baytron ltd. [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] where they specialize in circuit board repair and can repair this for me for about $50 and guarantee it will work or I don't pay.

Since I have no experience soldering and don't want to risk ruining the circuit board or wiring the transformer in backwards I decided to send it off to Baytron and have them fix it. A week later I got this in the mail...

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Since the transformer has a different footprint they just wired it in with about 8 inches of extra wire so I can mount the transformer close to the circuit board in the fridge.

I reconnected the wires to the circuit board, plugged it in, and sure enough the fridge runs! Very Happy

But now for the bad news...she doesn't get cold. I let it run for well over an hour and not even a hint of chill in the fridge. It seems the freon has leaked out or for whatever reason is not being circulated. I know the compressor is running because I can hear and feel it running. The fan on the condenser is also running. Looks like I would need to tap into the refrigerant circuit to recharge it or do further diagnosis, which means this fridge is DEAD. Not worth recharging at this point since it can cost $100 or more for the recharge and still no guarantees it will work. These chinese mini fridges are not built to be recharged. They don't have a recharge valve, which one needs to be installed first ($$) and the copper tubing they use is often to small to be able to install a valve on.

This is good news for the Energy Drink Fridge community because that means PART OUT! I'll have plenty of working and hard to find parts posted here soon for this model VV-3 fridge. My loss = your fridge running again!
vanvalks
Admin

View user profile http://www.energydrinkfridgeforums.com

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum