Energy Drink Fridge Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What does it cost to run a mini fridge for a month?

4 posters

Go down

What does it cost to run a mini fridge for a month? Empty What does it cost to run a mini fridge for a month?

Post  EnergyMan Wed Sep 14, 2011 1:13 am

Has anyone figured out how much their electric bill goes up running one of these things in a bedroom or garage? Of course it will vary depending on which fridge you have and how big it is, but just in general what are we talking here? An extra $5/month? $2/month? $20/month Shocked?
EnergyMan
EnergyMan

Back to top Go down

What does it cost to run a mini fridge for a month? Empty Re: What does it cost to run a mini fridge for a month?

Post  RB Kyle Thu Oct 13, 2011 8:04 pm

I run several at my house and office and various styles and i honestly cant say theres much of a difference. Maybe a couple dollars. And the newer models are Energy Star

RB Kyle

Back to top Go down

What does it cost to run a mini fridge for a month? Empty Re: What does it cost to run a mini fridge for a month?

Post  armyguy Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:01 pm

I can tell you that the Redbull 360 raised my bill $60.00/mo. I plugged it into the energy reader and it gave me the amount. It has been unplugged for now. It is really a shame and I am trying to figure something out.
armyguy
armyguy

Back to top Go down

Post  vanvalks Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:07 am

Armyguy that really surprises me. So much so that I purchased an electricity meter to see how much my Rockstar can fridge is costing me. This is the meter I purchased:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

I have noticed my energy bills seemed a little high lately so I was pretty curious to test out the fridge. I've had it plugged in for 48 hours now and I am shocked to see the fridge is only using about $1/month in electricity.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

However I did learn that the space heater we are running in one of our bedrooms is costing about $30/month! affraid

Armyguy what meter did you use? Did you set the meter to match your current utility rate? Did you leave it plugged in long enough for the meter to get a good average? It surprises me that one fridge could run at $1/month and another run at $60/month. That one is quite a bit bigger though!
vanvalks
vanvalks
Admin

http://www.energydrinkfridgeforums.com

Back to top Go down

Post  armyguy Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:18 am

Yeah I thought it was pretty crazy, even for being a bigger mini fridge. I use the same one as you, the kill-a-watt and put in my rate which is .33 cents per kwh where I live in Cali. I let it run for a week which is plenty of time and it calculated out 60 and some change.

I just used it on the monster fridge is running only 12-13/mo
armyguy
armyguy

Back to top Go down

Post  vanvalks Wed Jan 18, 2012 6:46 pm

Wow you are at 33 cents per kwh? Where I live we pay 9 cents per kwh. So that 360 fridge would only cost me $16/month to run. You are getting killed on kwh rate by your utility company. Out of curiosity I looked it up and the national average for kwh cost is 12 cents.
vanvalks
vanvalks
Admin

http://www.energydrinkfridgeforums.com

Back to top Go down

Post  armyguy Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:00 pm

Yup that is part of living in good ol republik of Kalifornia. We get raped on everything(gas, electricity, taxes). All we have where I live is PG&E. They get to charge whatever they want because there is no competition. I am going to get a solar setup in the future so they can no longer own me. Even at .33 cents though this fridge should not be using that much electricity. I am going to try to find someone to look at it.
armyguy
armyguy

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down