Energy Drink Fridge Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Red Bull 'Baby Cooler' repair questions

2 posters

Go down

Red Bull 'Baby Cooler' repair questions Empty Red Bull 'Baby Cooler' repair questions

Post  darren.simpson Fri Feb 10, 2012 9:19 pm

Hi, picked this up (fig1) literally on the side of the road today, compressor still runs fine but inside is like a mini oven, seriously, the back plate gets hot as. Some physical investigation has turned up a snapped thermostat line (fig2) and suspect lookin thermostat relay. Some forum research turned up that the heat is a fair indication of no refrigerant. Now with the questions.
1. Is fixing the thermostat line as simple as resoldering the good end back into the relay?
2. How does one test the level of refrigerant in the system with only a minimum of equipment?
3. If I am indeed out of refrigerant (and assuming there are no puntures anywhere) is redosing it with R134a as simple as it seems?
The diy’s have an array of methods from pro to ghetto that don’t seem too hard, or should I just take it to a guy to do for me (like a woose).

ok, any help on those would be appreciated. Help me get this thing running before i have to hide it from my wife!
Attachments
Red Bull 'Baby Cooler' repair questions Attachment
wide.jpg Roadside treasureYou don't have permission to download attachments.(23 Kb) Downloaded 13 times
fig1.jpg Dodgey thermo control relay & snapped lineYou don't have permission to download attachments.(25 Kb) Downloaded 9 times
fig2.jpg Unsoldered snapped end, luck was only a couple cmYou don't have permission to download attachments.(29 Kb) Downloaded 7 times

darren.simpson

Back to top Go down

Red Bull 'Baby Cooler' repair questions Empty update

Post  darren.simpson Sat Feb 11, 2012 5:13 am

Found the real reason this hit the roadside, some douche stabbed a tiny hole in the coolant plate while dislodging ice. Have patched hole with silver solder, see how we go

darren.simpson

Back to top Go down

Red Bull 'Baby Cooler' repair questions Empty Re: Red Bull 'Baby Cooler' repair questions

Post  vanvalks Sat Feb 11, 2012 8:05 pm

Assuming you can repair the refrigerant system to the point that it will hold pressure you should be able to recharge it. The hard part is that these fridges were not made to be recharged- there is no recharge fitting incorporated into the system. If you can find out what type of fitting needs to be added onto the line to allow a recharge bottle to hook up to the line then the recharge wouldn't be too hard. Good luck on the repairs! Worse case you can probably part out a few pieces and put the money towards a working fridge!

There forums were born out of a similar situation. I picked up 3 Red Bull fridges off my local classifieds for $50 and 2 of them weren't running. I looked for parts online and found NOTHING. After finding nothing I decided to pull the fridges apart piece by piece and use logic to figure out what wasn't working. Turned out one of the fridges had a bad overload compressor ($10 repair), and the other fridge needed some circuit board repair ($50 repair). After that I decided to start the forums so there would be a place to find info on these often broken fridges.

Good luck with the repair Thumbs Up
vanvalks
vanvalks
Admin

http://www.energydrinkfridgeforums.com

Back to top Go down

Red Bull 'Baby Cooler' repair questions Empty Re: Red Bull 'Baby Cooler' repair questions

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down